Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sailing club, ASA 103 and ASA 107


So I hesitated and spent the last week considering all options for advancing my sailing adventure.

The sailing club was definitely a smarter choice than laying out cash for a boat and paying for a slip. But which level of membership would be the wisest choice?

Given that one must sign up for a year, and given also that it is unlikely that the benefit of a more expensive membership would outweigh its cost (little sailing in the winter, probably limited sails for the first several months honing my new found skills), I decided to take the entry level membership. The entry level member essentially charters for half price and receives discounts for additional certification classes.

So today, I signed into the club with an entry level membership, and also signed up for ASA 103 and ASA 107 certification classes.

ASA 103 is the Basic Coastal Cruising certification. This certification clears the way for sailing in local and regional waters on engined boats up to 30' in moderate winds and seas.
ASA 107 is the Celestial Navigation course. It's something that's always fascinated me, so I decided that I would finally make an effort at learning to sail like the seafarers of old!

I plan on chartering a 24' Martin when my elderly father arrives in town next week. It will be him, me, my wife and two kids. This will be the first time I've handled a keel boat by myself - and with a crew of complete novices. I'll need all the luck I can get. Mostly I'm nervous about docking, but I'm also a little fearful of potential problems raising and lowering the main. Again, I have very little experience and those that will assist, have none.

Think Keystone Cops meet Popeye the Sailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment