Wednesday, June 8, 2011

ASA on the water exam - and a change in plans

After a couple of idle days, the wind finally returned.

The ASA Basic Keel Boat exam happened on a blustery Friday evening. It was so windy, in fact, that the instructor would not let us stray far from the marina. As we left the dock, I was heavy with anxiety.

When we got out on the water, despite the gusting wind, my nerves settled and I was able to perform each of the tasks asked of me. I struggled still with the application of the conceptual knowledge to the real-world, but all things considered, I was happy with my performance. Apparently, the instructor was, as well!

The most difficult maneuver for me was the figure eight crew overboard drill. Each of us were asked to do it twice. My first attempt went well. The second, however, was not so nicely executed as the first. I was a little distant from the flagged float as I came in to pick it up, but a quick correction at the last minute saved the day.

Beyond that, I was able to move to all points of sail asked of me. I tacked and jibed correctly and really had a great time on the water.

After achieving my first level of certification, I began rethinking my plans to purchase a boat. After all, I could purchase Gold level membership in the sailing club (run by the ASA instructor) for less than it would cost to pay for mooring for my own boat - and with unlimited access to the club boats. It really didn't make sense to buy the boat and spend all that money on mooring while I learn to sail. Better to save a few dollars and learn on someone else's boat!

The club is a one year commitment. I'm never comfortable with contracts, but I think is just enough time to develop a level of competence and confidence that I need to become comfortable with the idea of and responsibilities associated with ownership of a boat. So I'm thinking on it tonight and will probably sign the contract tomorrow. We'll see. If I'm going to do it, I should do it soon - I will get a 40% rebate on the cost of the 101 course (and discounts on future courses, too). So it just makes good sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment